Monday, December 29, 2008

Musical Megachurch Sunday








I went to a mega-church yesterday. It was interesting, very interesting. This megachurch encourages the congregation to bring their musical instruments to play hymns. People without instruments can stand or sit on the sides of the corridor of players and sing. I’ve never seen anything like this before, in real life or on TV. It was very, very neat. I wish I had had my trombone. The acoustics of the church were very good, but the mic on my camera doesn’t capture this very well. There were lot's of cameras out, so I felt free to take a few videos.

The place was packed, I estimate there were about 2000 people there yesterday. The first service started at 4pm. It was more focused on the music. The second service started followed two hours later. It was more in line with what you think of when you see the word megachurch, much more evangelical. Altogether I spent 4 hours at church yesterday… yikes!

The church was very traditional, with women and men standing on different sides. I noticed that there were no women playing in the orchestra section. I asked Michel about this. Women aren’t allowed to play in band in school. They also can’t play on sports teams… It looks like there’s room for progress in this area.

This makes me recall reading that women make only half of what men make doing the same job here in Brazil. It also makes me remember that the home cooking here is absolutely delicious… a double-edged sword!

I rode with Michel, Angelo, and Joao Loco. It was about a 3-hour drive there and back. It was good day overall, and a unique experience that I won’t forget.

No comments: