Sunday, February 8, 2009

A Change in Plans

My plans have changed recently. Until two weeks ago, I was planning on venturing to Santiago, Chile to teach English in the INACAP university system there. I got the unexpected and bad news a week and a half ago… The legal department at the university couldn’t agree/understand some contract terms in time to hire me for the semester starting in March. I guess international hiring is a little more complex. What a disappointment!

I was only about 75-80% certain that I would get this job. The department chair and president both expressed a lot of interest in having me join the English department. But, I know very well that things don’t always work out… so I also had a plan B in the back of my head.

Now, I plan to go to Buenos Aires in about 2 weeks. My two main objectives in coming to South America were to learn Spanish and Portuguese. I can speak Portuguese well enough now, although I should continue to study the language if I want to retain and expand on what I’ve already learned. I still need to learn Spanish.

I will go to Buenos Aires, and I hope to stay there for about two months. I’ll start a job search there: locally, but I’ll mostly be looking for jobs in the US. It would be great to get a job or internship at a brewery! At the same time, I’ll be waiting to hear back from graduate schools which I applied to back in November before I left for SA. With the current job market and my so-so undergraduate marks, I’m not sure how I will fare. I haven’t thought of a plan C. Hopefully I won’t have to make one.

Even if things don’t go smoothly for me, this escapade has been absolutely priceless. I believe Portuguese and Spanish will turn out to be valuable skills. I don’t have any regrets. Wish me luck.

No comments: